10 December 2017

Switching Gears : The Prodigal Daughter

It's been awhile since I've bogged about anything, but I decided on a whim today that I would return to this blog site and start online journaling my movement forward from here on out. No set plans, no real intention to spread my voice in the ether, just my way of journaling life as it happens in a dedicated space that I know I'll look back on to help remind me of the valuable lessons that I've collected along the way and might need to remind myself of when future me looks back over my entries.

Over a week ago, I hit a point in my last pregnancy that made me feel like I was my weakest and least physically capable. My hips separated at the symphisys pubis (Symphisys Pubis Diastisis) and I could not walk without pain or feeling "crunchiness" in my hips. Going from being fairly physically capable to not at all is definitely a mind game.

By 4am Friday, December 8, my water broke, and by 9:48am, my one and only baby girl, Ellonae, had arrived. At this point in time, 2 days and some change later, I'm happily recovering at home, already feeling my body stronger and a new fire in me to drive forward (as intelligently as possible) is alit.



Postpartum recovery is never easy, no matter how "easy" it may seem from the outside perspective. Many of us who have been down this road time and again can attest to the difficulty (many more difficult than the average) of the process. Fortunately for me, this was the least traumatic of the 4 births I've given, exception of some minor hemorrhaging within the first few hours after delivery. I was home after 24 hours and some change of observation, and a lot of the inflammation and swelling is down. Physically, I look about 4-6 mos pregnant now versus the full baby bump I sported only 3 days ago, but I know most of that is just the swollen womb still in the first phases of its postpartum reduction, along with the diastisis recti that I had after the 3rd child (one that I was rehabilitating when I found out that I was pregnant with the baby girl, and has been reduced from approx 2cm down to 1.5ish since discovering it).

Current plan to physical recovery:

1. Continuing my higher protein intake that I've been doing during the general successful management of my gestational diabetes (been gestational diabetic every pregnancy and successfully diet managed the last two, no pharm intervention needed).  I average between 38-45% of intake from protein to date. I'll be keeping a moderate to lower fat/moderate to lower carb intake (depending on the day - not going to be too particular about priorities here since I'm breastfeeding and just trying to be consistent about postpartum recovery), but my overall caloric intake will not change from my intake during pregnancy (again, because breastfeeding).

2. I've started "ab bracing" (engaging my transverse abdominis) already, since it's not too strenuous an activity to do at this point, and I think it's a good place to start in terms of helping re-establish the mind-body connection in my core area, which is probably my biggest need at this point aside from strengthening that connection in my pelvic floor at this point too.  The point for the next 6 weeks is to allow my body enough rest and recovery so that it does respond well to the exercises I utilize for rehab and getting back on track.  Other exercises I will likely do include glute squeezes, clams, heel slides, and easy walking around the neighborhood during baby's naps.  Rep ranges will be in the 5-10 zone for the next two weeks to start, no resistance. Walks will start 15 min a day starting Friday, increasing each week until I get full clearance from my ob to move myself up.

That's pretty much it for now.

Looking forward to getting back on track with my PN1 exam and my PTA program, and maybe in a few mos, I can get started with some coaching again. 😁

Happy end of 2017, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment